See Agatha's historical site about the former Lakeshore Psychiatric Hospital.
Also see the Psychiatric Survivor Archives, Toronto.
Information Booklet in PDF format.
(Requires Adobe Acrobat Reader)
See a video of volunteer commentary by Ed Janiszewski.
In 1888 male patients from the Provincial Lunatic Asylum, later called the Queen Street Mental Health Centre began construction on of the Mimico Lunatic Asylum.
In 1890 the asylum opened in full and was operated as an annex of Provincial Lunatic Asylum.
In 1894 it became an independent entity.
In 1920 the hospital became known as the Ontario Hospital, New Toronto.
In 1961 the name of the hospital was changed to Lakeshore Psychiatric Hospital, by which it was known until it closed in 1979.